John 3:30 NLT

He must become greater and greater. And I must become less and less. John 3:30

Tuesday, March 2, 2021

How to be godly: relationship first

When I was what I considered to be a new Christian in college, I experienced a pretty dramatic change in my lifestyle.  I went from being a man ruled by anger and bitterness to deeply desiring God in so many moments in life.  I began waking up every day and reading God's word, devouring every bit of it that I possibly could.  It was like I was reading it for the first time and day after day I learned new things about what the life of a Christian is supposed to be like.  

Like many new to the faith, I began thinking that much of this change that was supposed to be occurring in me would be based upon my own work.  If I read the Bible more, surely this would make God happier with me.  If I memorized scripture, I would gain his favor.  I developed this kind of mindset that I could work my way into Christianity.

While there is some work we can do to deepen our faith, a focus on that sort of thing by itself is wrong.  It elevates us in our own minds to being super-powerful.  In its worst form it can become an idol, making us think that we can truly do anything including gaining greater stature with God.  I think that's why so many of us know people who are churchgoers who don't actually behave as a Christian.  Sure, they attend church and may know what some scripture says, but they rely on themselves to apply it in their lives which leads to an eventual failure because they go in their own strength.  They never actually surrender themselves to this God that can take up residence inside of them and change them over time.  It's all about them.

If we are unable for long periods of time to be more godly, how can we actually become more"godly?"  How can our small measure of faith that we have in Jesus Christ turn into anything larger?  Are there actually next steps to faith?

Peter wrote some great words about it that I have copied below.

2 Peter 1:3-4- 3 By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence. And because of his glory and excellence, he has given us great and precious promises. These are the promises that enable you to share his divine nature and escape the world’s corruption caused by human desires.

Immediately this passage turns our ideas of godliness on its head.  Peter openly states that we have "everything we need for a godly life."  We already have it.  If we already have it, it must have been given to us somehow and by someone.  The next sentence completes the thought.

We received this gift by coming to know Christ.  Now let's consider what this really means.  I believe American Christians may believe that this indicates that when we "accept Jesus into our hearts," this gift that Peter describes is immediately given.  That does have some element of truth but is far too simple of an explanation.  This is rooted in the misconception that "accepting Jesus" is like crossing the finish line of a race.  Once you have crossed it, you have gotten your way into Heaven and nothing else is required.  The trouble with that sort of thinking is that it is not supported anywhere in scripture.  Jesus himself spoke many things that contradict that idea as did all of the apostles who followed him.

Christianity is instead portrayed in the Bible as more of a marathon that is difficult and challenging and follows a path that few people actually follow.  What if "accepting Jesus" is instead the crossing of the starting line in a marathon?  What if in doing that you've only just begun the race and you still have 26.2 miles to go?  When you realize that, it changes everything about how you view your relationship with God.

When Peter says in the second sentence that we receive this "by coming to know him," he's making an important statement.  He is implying that coming to know Jesus is a process instead of an event.

Think of it this way.  Imagine the person on this earth that you are closest to.  It may be a best friend or your spouse or significant other, a brother or sister.  When you first met that person did you truly know them?  Did you know everything about them at that moment?  Did you know exactly how they think and suddenly have the ability to complete their sentences for them?  Did you know at that moment everything they like or don't like?  Did you know their past and their dreams for the future?  Of course not.  That kind of knowledge takes time to develop, and it is developed by spending time with them and talking to them and listening to them.  Even after 22 years of marriage, I'm still learning new things about Amanda!

If that's true in your everyday life, why would it be any different with Jesus?  You prayed a prayer in church one day and you suddenly know everything about Jesus and how he thinks and how he interacts with people?  No, it just doesn't happen that way.  When you invited Jesus into your heart to stay, you in effect have just said the initial "hello" to him.  It's like shaking hands and introducing yourself to someone for the first time.  That was just the initial encounter and there is so much that remains to be seen in your life.  His purpose for you is so much more grand than you can even imagine!

How, then, do we "come to know him?"  It takes time!  Lots of time.  In my life it began with devouring scripture and thinking on it.  Later it came with studying in greater depth what a passage meant.  Still later it came with promptings Jesus put into my life and my decision in that moment to obey or to not obey.  And it continues to this day as I go through day to day life, the high highs and the deep lows that come from obeying (or not obeying) Jesus everyday.  With each instance, I gain a little more insight into what he wants for me.  I learn a little more about his character as he speaks to me, by looking at the things he speaks to me about through scripture, and also by his moments of silence.

Peter goes further at the end of verse 3.  He says that as we get to know Jesus, his call comes by "means of his marvelous glory and excellence."  We read in scripture that Jesus is God's son, that he is divine, and that he is God in the flesh.  As we read about his life on earth we see a picture of his glory and excellence through his love and caring for the worst of sinners and through his everyday obedience.  He never sinned!  Not once!  

But Peter's statement about us "coming to know him" takes it so much further than that.  As we learn to hear Jesus speaking to us through daily Bible reading, through promptings in our brain, and through others speaking to us, we begin to get a glimpse of how incredible he truly is!  He sees everything, intimately knows us and what we are going through, sees our highs and lows, our obedience and our disobedience, and he still loves us and interacts with us.  This is attractive to me because it is unlike any other relationship I have in my life!

Like you, I have many relationships with many different people.  Some are true friends and know what's happening in my everyday life.  They are the ones who know how to pray for me and my family, and they are few.  Others are people I like but I don't speak to on a regular basis.  Still others are colleagues, and we may talk when one of us needs something but not otherwise.  Even when it comes to my closest friends, though, there are things that I can do to cause severe damage to the relationship due to my own behavior and choices!  Some of those things could even damage the relationship beyond repair!  It just isn't that way with Jesus though.  Even though he has had countless reasons to abandon me, he never has.  And he never will.  Someone like that is unique, and it makes me want to know them more.

What you discover over time is that when you begin to learn more about Jesus, more of his character begins to shine through you in ways that you just don't expect and never intended.  Your desires change from material things to just desiring more time with him.  And as you spend more of that time with him, he continues to poke holes in you and create cracks in your old self to where he shines out of you to a greater degree.  And then it all becomes visible to others.  For me, that's a large reason why I write this blog!  It helps me to consider at a deeper level what Christ is speaking into my life.  Who really cares if anyone reads it!

The point Peter is making is that we won't become more like Jesus on our own.  Trust me, I have tried.  Instead, Peter is saying that the power to do that comes from Jesus himself!  And it is given in greater and greater measure as we spend more and more time with him.  This just comes through everyday experiences with him, through reading scripture, prayer, "chance" encounters in everyday life whether in your community or at a local store or shop or at work.  Jesus is in all of those things!  In those moments we can either see them as they are, God's interaction in our life, or we can just see them as random encounters.  One leads closer to Jesus;  the other does not.

You may find after reading this that you don't know Jesus like I'm describing.  You thought you had crossed the finish line a while back when you "accepted Christ," but you just haven't seen anything since then.  The relationship you thought you might have had seems like stale religion.  You look at others who talk about Jesus with excitement and you wonder why you don't feel that same way, so you begin to feel that's unique to some Christians.  But it isn't unique.  It's available to you too.  

If you find yourself in that spot today, I encourage you to go put away all of your electronic devices and just start reading in the book of Matthew.  Read as much or as little as you would like, but stop periodically to see what it is telling you about Jesus.  Pay attention to the questions it raises in your heart and seek some answers from a good Bible commentary or from a friend who you think can help you.  Above all things, spend some time in prayer!  As I have said before, sometimes just sitting in silence before the Lord is incredibly impactful!  In this manner at times you may see something he will lay on your heart.  It takes time, but he has all of the time in the world.  And if it takes more of your time than you would have chosen, is that really a bad thing if in the end you begin your departure from the starting line and begin really heading down the path?

We will continue unpacking this passage in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment